Saturday, October 2, 2010

It's like taking candy from a baby

My friends know that I've got quite the sweet tooth. In fact one of my favorite lines of all time is "There's always room for dessert." Well, partly 'coz it pacifies my binging on sweets and doesn't make me feel as bad as I should. Nasty habbit I know, but who can blame me? I grew up with sweets always around. My siblings and I were spoiled on sweets not just by our parents, but more by our grandparents on both my mom and dad's side. We've always lived with our paternal grandmother, and since we're her only grand kids, she spoiled us rotten on food. haha! Whatever my parents didn't want us to eat, we always got our way with her. The perks of living with a grandmother as motherly as her, is that aside from the crazy food stash, we knew that we had more than our parents to rely on and who loved us just as much. I remember she had this whole closet full of sweets and junk food, every parents nightmare right, but every kids dream. I'm lucky enough to have lived the dream., but it came with a catch. The closet was always locked, and everytime we wanted to get something we had to borrow the key from her. Good enough deal, now that i come to think of it. Anyway, she'd buy loads of chocolates in numbers that you can't imagine. 42 at once maybe? hahah! Well the reason behind that is, at that time where we live, we didn't have everything they had in the metro, so everytime she had the chance to go (or my parents would) she'd hoard as much as she could. The sweets didn't end there though, she'd hook us up with unlimited ice cream and popsicles! The freezer was never empty!

Then on Sunday's we've have the usual family lunch at my maternal grandparents house. Sweets were insane too! After our lunch we'd have ice cream. A different flavor every week, but everyone's favorite? Rocky Road. We'd die once we see it melting with nuts and marshmallows. Funny thing is that it never stopped there. My cousins, along with my siblings and I, always decided to stay after lunch and watch VHS movies in my grandparents TV room, one of the reasons was because they had a mini refrigerator packed with chocolate. Do you remember those m&m packs with the mini packets in them? Well that along with a bag of hershey's kisses always took the racks. The movie would end just in time when my grandpa woke up from his nap. Then we knew it was time to crowd up in his car (the 5 seater type) and go to McDonald's for a happy meal drive thru. It was insane, but that's what made my childhood happy and memorable, i guess.

Now back to that nasty habit. So this week I started to control, not stop, the habit. Rule is that I allow myslef to have sweets once during the weekdays and once during the weekends. So far I've had a glass of coke last wednesday for my weekday sweet (yes, i count soda as sweets because i'm crazy addicted!). So the question is, what do I get as my weekend sweet? I was thinking on getting a slice of my mom's chocolate mousse bombe or maybe her pecan chocolate cake? My mom makes cakes like you've tasted heaven! That's why my siblings and I hardly buy cake, 'coz we've always been very picky. I guess I'll know my verdict tonight. 'Til then a lot of thinking.

2 comments:

  1. er! i want to taste your mom's awesome cakes! i've heard enough na!! please please bring me some! hihi

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay! i might bring you some when i come over in october! :) but you'll have to come visit me on a sunday. hahah :)

    ReplyDelete